The Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab is interested in the science and technology of electromagnetic compatibility, with special focus on high power electromagnetics, lightning physics and protection, and electromagnetic time reversal.
The laboratory is equipped with a semi-anechoic chamber (7 x 7 x 2.1 m) with related EMC measurement equipments (antennas, field sensors, VNAs, broadband amplifiers, etc.), a high voltage laboratory (12.8 x 12 x 7.9 m) with a 1.3 MV impulse generator and related measuring equipment. We also run a unique experimental facility at the Säntis tower for lightning measurements. The Säntis tower is instrumented using advanced equipment, including remote monitoring and control capabilities, to obtain accurate measurements of lightning currents, electromagnetic fields and optical observations.
Our Research is essentially sponsored by various programs of Swiss National Science Foundation, European Community, Swiss Electrical Utilities, European Space Agency as well as by private companies.
We closely collaborate with many international research centers and universities among which University of Bologna (Italy), University of Florida (USA), Uppsala University and KTH (Sweden).
On behalf of the EMC Lab team,
Prof. Farhad Rachidi
Member of SEREC
- 2019 IEEE Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Signal and Power Integrity
July 22-26, 2019, New Orleans, USA
- 2019 Asian Electromagnetics International Symposium, Sept. 15-20, 2019, Xi’an, China
- 15th International Symposium on Lightning Protection (SIPDA), Sept. 30 – Oc. 4, 2019, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- International Conference on Lightning Detection (ILDC), April 27-30, 2020, Broomfield, Colorado, USA.
- 35th International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP), Aug. 30 – Sept. 4, 2020, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- XXXIII General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (GASS) of the International Union of Radio Science, Aug. 29 – Sept. 5, 2020, Rome, Italy.