Bonjour et bienvenue! Our main research goal is to develop catalysts that are made of Earth-abundant elements for chemical transformations relevant to synthesis, energy, and sustainability. Towards this goal, we currently focus on base metal catalyzed organic synthesis, electrochemical water splitting and CO2 reduction, fuel cell catalysis, as well as the development of synthetic models for the active site of metalloenzymes.
Check out our publications for the latest research results.
EPFL Master students: Please follow the guideline in this file when applying for any projects.
Follow the group news in our Twitter account.
- [February] The lab welcomes Miyeon Chang, Harry Mccaughey, Maël Djaïd to conduct their master projects and Arthur Blumenstein as an apprentice.
- [January] Congratulations to Lichen Bai who has just successfully complete his public presentation of PhD work and received his PhD degree.
- [January] Welcome to new PhD student Lara Lavrencic.
- [November] Congratulations to Guido Barzano for a successful public presentation of his PhD thesis before receiving his doctoral degree.
- [October] We welcome Dr. Wenhao Ren as a new postdoc. Dr. Ren is supported by a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship; he will work on electrocatalytic CO2 reduction.
- [October] Congratulations to Murat Alkan-Zambada for a successful public presentation of his PhD thesis before receiving his doctoral degree.
- [September] Congratulations to Runze Mao for a successful public presentation of his PhD thesis before receiving his doctoral degree.
- [September] Congratulations to Aliki Moysiadou for a successful public presentation of her PhD thesis before receiving her doctoral degree.
- [August] Congratulations to Marten Ploeger for a successful public presentation of his PhD thesis before receiving his doctoral degree.
- Prof. Hu is elected member of the Academia Europaea.
- Prof. Hu won the 2020 International Catalysis Award from the International Association of Catalysis Societies. See details.
Selected Recent Publications
1. Lichen Bai, Chia-Shuo Hsu, Duncan Alexander, Hao Ming Chen,* Xile Hu*
A Cobalt-Iron Double-Atom Catalyst for the Oxygen Evolution Reaction
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2019, 141, 14190-14199.
2. Jun Gu, Chia-Shuo Hsu, Lichen Bai, Hao Ming Chen*, and Xile Hu*
Atomically dispersed Fe3+ sites catalyze efficient CO2 electroreduction to CO
Science, 2019, 364, 1091-1094.
3. Hui-Jie Pan, Gangfeng Huang, Matthew D. Wodrich, Farzaneh Fadaei Tirani, Kenichi Ataka, Seigo Shima* and Xile Hu*
A catalytically active [Mn]-hydrogenase incorporating a non-native metal cofactor
Nature Chemistry 2019, 11, 669-675.
4. Shi, R.; Zhang, Z.; Hu, X.L.*
Nickamine and Analogous Nickel Pincer Catalysts for Cross-Coupling of Alkyl Halides and Hydrosilylation of Alkenes
Accounts of Chemical Research 2019, 52, 1471-1483.
5. Song, F.; Busch, M.; Lassalle-Kaiser, B.; Hsu, C-S.; Petkucheva, E.; Bensimon, M.; Chen, H.M.;* Corminboeuf, C.*; Hu, X.L.*
An Unconventional Iron Nickel Catalyst for the Oxygen Evolution Reaction
ACS Central Science, 2019, 5, 558-568.
6. Zhang, L.; Liardet, L.; Luo, J.S.; Ren, D. ; Grätzel, M.; Hu, X.L.*
Photoelectrocatalytic Arene C-H Amination
Nature Catalysis 2019, 2, 366-373.
7. Mao, R.; Frey, A.; Balon, J.; Hu, X.L.*
Decarboxylative C(sp3)-N Cross Coupling via Synergetic Photoredox and Copper Catalysis
Nature Catalysis 2018, 1, 120-126.
8. Shima, S.;* Chen, D.F.; Xu, T.; Wodrich, M.D.; Fujishiro, T.; Schultz, K.M.; Kahnt, J.; Ataka, K.; Hu, X.L.*
Reconstitution of [Fe]-hydrogenase using model complexes
Nature Chemistry 2015, 7, 995-1002.
9. Morales-Guio, C.G.; Hu, X.L.*
Amorphous Molybdenum Sulfides as Hydrogen Evolution Catalysts
Accounts of Chemical Research 2014, 47, 2671–2681.
10. Song, F.; Hu, X.L.*
Exfoliation of layered double hydroxides for enhanced oxygen evolution catalysis
Nature Communications 2014, 5, 4477.