Postdoctoral position in Soft implantable neural systems
The laboratory for Soft Bioelectronic Interfaces seeks a postdoctoral scientist who will explore and innovate in the engineering of hybrid and fully implantable neural systems.
The long-term objective is the development of reliable technologies for long-term (hermetic) and wireless neural implants.
The project is highly interdisciplinary and requires solid background in at least one of the following domains: materials science, microfabrication, miniaturized electronics, and interest in neural engineering and translational research.
Main duties and responsibilities:
– The successful candidate will lead efforts to advance the design, assembly and development of chronic implantable systems that will be tested in translational model of brain or spinal cord injury.
– Integration of soft implants with miniaturized implantable electronics will be developed.
– Encapsulation strategies will be tested. All systems will be assessed against electromechanical performance, stability and biocompatibility in vitro (using dedicated ageing platforms) and in vivo.
– Multiple therapeutic applications are being explored in the team ranging from alleviating spinal cord injury to deafness and pain.
– The successful candidate will have access to state-of-the art experimental platforms available at Campus Biotech Geneva and across EPFL and with partnering groups within EPFL Neuro-X institute.
- MSc and PhD degrees in microengineering, materials science, electrical engineering or neural engineering.
- Confirmed experience in hardware design and assembly; strong understanding of scientific methods and engineering principles.
- A solid background in microfabrication/materials science and engineering is a plus.
- Experienced in cross-disciplinary research and team projects.
- Track record in peer-reviewed publications and participation to international conferences.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- A team-player, self-motivated, creative and enthusiastic about team projects; excellent communication skills.
- An opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects in Neurotechnology Research within a world-class community of engineers, neuroscientists and medical doctors.
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, international and collaborative working environment based at the Campus Biotech in Geneva.
- EPFL is an international and world-class engineering institution that hosts state-of-the-art experimental and computational facilities, a rich and vibrant scientific and entrepreneurial community.
- EPFL is an equal-opportunity employer.
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits, defined by EPFL scales and regulations.
- Link: https://recruiting.epfl.ch/Vacancies/2861/Description/2
– A curriculum vitae (2 pages max.)
– Name and email for up to 3 referees
- Start date: as soon as possible, 01.07.2023 at the latest
- Term of the employment: Fixed-term (CDD)
- Work rate: 100%
- Duration: 12 months, renewable