Paolo De Los Rios earned his master in Electronic Engineering at the Turin Institute of Technology (Politecnico di Torino) in May 1993.
In November 1993 he moved to Trieste, Italy, to enter the PhD program in Theoretical Condensed Matter Theory at the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA/ISAS) where he obtained the PhD degree in October 1996 for his work on the statistical physics of disordered systems.
After a one year postdoc at the Max-Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems in Dresden, Germany, in November 1997 he moved to the University of Fribourg, Switzerland, to join the group of Prof. Yi-Cheng Zhang. There he has worked on various applications of statistical physics to complex systems.
In September 2000 he has been appointed Assistant Professor in Statistical Physics of Living Matter and Complex Systems at the Institute of Theoretical Physics of the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
Since April 2010 he is Associate Professor at the Institute of Theoretical Physics of the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland.
- Scale-free networks from varying vertex intrinsic fitness, G. Caldarelli, A. Capocci, P. De Los Rios and M. Munoz, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 258702 (2002)
- Understanding amyloid aggregation by statistical analysis of atomic force microscopy images, J. Adamcik, J. Jung, J. Flakowski, P. De Los Rios, G. Dietler and R. Mezzenga, Nature Nanotechnology 5, 423-428 (2010)
- Complex network analysis of free-energy landscapes, D. Gfeller, P. De Los Rios, A. Caflisch and F. Rao, Proceedings The National Academy Of Sciences Of The United States Of America 104, 1817-1822 (2007)
- Hsp70 chaperones accelerate protein translocation and the unfolding of stable protein aggregates by entropic pulling, P. De Los Rios, A. Ben-Zvi, O. Slutsky, A. Azem and P. Goloubinoff, Proceedings The National Academy Of Sciences Of The United States Of America 103, 6166-6171 (2006)
- The mechanism of Hsp70 chaperones: (entropic) pulling the models together, P. Goloubinoff and P. De Los Rios, Trends In Biochemical Sciences 32, 372-380 (2007)
- Kosmotropes and chaotropes: modelling preferential exclusion, binding and aggregate stability, S. Moelbert, B. Normand and P. Rios, Biophysical Chem. 112, 45-57 (2004)
- Scaling exponents and probability distributions of DNA end-to-end distance, F. Valle, M. Favre, P. De Los Rios, A. Rosa and G. Dietler, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 158105 (2005)
- Fractal dimension and localization of DNA knots, E. Ercolini, F. Valle, J. Adamcik, G. Witz, R. Metzler, P. De Los Rios, J. Roca and G. Dietler, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 058102 (2007)
- The kinetic parameters and energy cost of the Hsp70 chaperone as a polypeptide unfoldase, S. Sharma, P. De Los Rios, P. Christen, A. Lustig and P. Goloubinoff, Nature Chem. Biology 6, 914-920 (2010)
- Finding instabilities in the community structure of complex networks, D. Gfeller, J. Chappelier and P. De Los Rios, Phys. Rev. E 72, 056135 (2005)