Welcome to the Laboratory of Wave Engineering !
Be it of electrical nature (microwaves, optics), or of mechanical nature (acoustics, elastics), wave propagation is at the core of many modern technological applications, such as telecommunications, energy transfer and management, information processing or medical imaging. In our laboratory, we focus on unveiling the mechanisms that govern wave propagation in complex artificial media, and apply our science to tackle challenging applicative problems, including:
– Transmitting waves through opaque media for imaging applications
– Forcing waves to propagate on one-way roads, even in the presence of obstacles, disorder or defects.
– Manipulating waves at scales smaller than their wavelength, for ultracompact devices, efficient sensing, or subwavelength imaging.
For more details, feel free to browse our Research and Publication pages.
- October 5th, 2019: R. Fleury received the 2019 STI PolySphere teaching award from the EPFL student association (AGEPoly), and the best teacher award from the EPFL Institute of Electrical Engineering (press release).
- September 16-20, 2019: Farzad won the third prize at the student paper competition at Metamaterials 2019, in Roma, Italy, with his paper, talk and poster about topological analog signal processing.
- September 11th, 2019: Invited talk about topological Fano resonances at ICA 2019 in Aachen, Germany.
- September 9th, 2019: Invited talk about robust sub-wavelength waveguides based on chirality at ICEAA in Granada, Spain.
- September 4th, 2019: Invited talk about active acoustic resonators at ICU 2019 in Bruges, Belgium.
- September 2nd, 2019: LWE welcomes three new Ph.D. candidates: Rongrong Xiang, Zhe Zhang, and Aleksi Bossart. We also welcome Alexia Moreno as a visiting Ph.D. student coming from Pamplona. Welcome on board !
- August 2nd, 2019: Our work on Non-Linear Second Order Topological Insulators has been published in Physical Review Lettersand is featured on the cover of the jounal. Our findings also appear in Nature Reviews Materials in a research highlight article.
- July 23-26, 2019: Our group gave two invited talks at META 2019 in Lisbon, Portugal. One on our recent concept of topological Fano resonances, and the other on non-Hermitian acoustics.
- July 1-3, 2019: It was a pleasure to co-organize a nice workshop on Topology and Broken Symmetries with the Dutch Institute for Emergent Phenomena, in Utrecht, Holland. Thanks to all the speakers and attendees for the nice presentations and stimulating discussions.
- June 24, 2019: Welcome to Gizem Yüce, who joined our group for a summer internship sponsored by the prestigious EPFL E3 program.
- June 17-20, 2019: 3 Invited talks about topological waves at PIERS 2019, in Rome, Italy.
- June 1st, 2019: Welcome to Aivar Abrashuly and Ronrong Xiang, who joined our group for a research internship.
- May 29th, 2019: Farzad Zangeneh has been selected as a finalist for the student paper competition of the upcoming international congress Metamaterials 2019, next September in Rome. Congrats!
- May 28th, 2019: Two invited talks on subwavelength wave manipulation and imaging at EMTS2019 in San Diego, California.
- May 3rd, 2019: Our work on Topological Analog Signal Processing has been published in Nature Communications.
- April 30th, 2019: Invited seminar at TopoLyon in Lyon, France.