Call for Proposals: The 6th ZEISS Research IDEAS Call is now closed.
The next call will be announced in due date.
The IDEAS fund finances seed projects of typically one year in fields defined by the scientific committee with a budget of about 100 k€. The most promising projects may then be continued by a joint research project financed either by ZEISS or by other funding.
The present call targets a broad range of technology areas as described hereafter:
- High Quality 3D Imaging and Data Processing
- Smart Automated Systems
- Multi-dimensional Visualization and Human-Machine Interaction
- Image Simulation, Experimental Modelling and VR
- Smart, Sustainable, Nano- and Micro-Manufacturing
The application(s) addressed should be in one or several of the following fields: medical diagnosis and visualization, life cell imaging, optical metrology and inspection, or manufacturing.
6th call schedule
|15.11.2023||Deadline for the submission of proposals|
|11.12.2023||Information on decisions by the Scientific Committee|
Several areas of mutual interest between Zeiss and EPFL have been identified by the SC. The present call targets a broad range of technology areas and fields as described below. The application(s) addressed should be in one or several of the following areas: medical diagnosis and visualization, life cell imaging, optical metrology and inspection, and manufacturing.
|Focus Area||Focus Fields||Examples / Applications|
|High Quality 3D Imaging and Data Processing||
|Smart Automated Systems||
|Multi-dimensional Visualization and Human-Machine Interaction||
|Image Simulation, Experimental Modelling and VR||
|Smart, Sustainable, Nano- and Micro-Manufacturing||
Preferred projects are feasibility investigations in preparation of larger long-term research projects. Although the ZEISS Fund is reserved to EPFL, the project may include external partners if needed. External partners’ activity will not be funded directly by the ZEISS Fund.
The proposals should include the following elements:
• The topic proposed for the specific call.
• The expected outcomes of the Project.
• The expected timeline/duration and possible milestones.
• The estimated budget.
• The EPFL researchers and research groups involved with a clearly identified EPFL researcher as the PI and possible additional external partners, if any.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
• Fit to the call topics.
• Scientific quality.
• Relevance of problem for application.
• Prospect of proposal (realistic plan, likelihood of collaboration and potential follow-up).
The submission process following the Calls for Proposals will be a one-step process that may include an exchange between the principal investigator (PI) and the scientific committee (SC):
1) Submission of proposals using a dedicated short template. The proposals will then be discussed during a meeting of the Scientific Committee.
2) If required and decided, a member of the SC will contact the PI for further input and clarification before the final selection of projects for funding by the SC.
Once the winning proposal(s) has(ve) been selected by the Scientific Committee, a specific contract according to the Framework Agreement will be prepared for approval by both Parties.
Each selected projects will be financed according to the accepted financial plan, which should target an amount of 100 K€ for a typical period of 12 months.
Should you be interesed in the ZEISS Research IDEAS Call, please contact [email protected].