Applications for starting in September are open from end January to the 30th of April
- Pay the admission fee (see info here under)
- Attach the required documents which are already in your possession.
- When complete: validate the form
All candidates fill in the same application form.
Documents required on April 30 (step 1)
All documents must be scanned to PDF (JPEG for the photo) and uploaded to the online form.
- identity photo (portrait with the face and neck, filling the whole image) with a 3/4 vertical format (minimum 240×320 pixels, maximum 2 MB). Your face must be centered and clearly visible, with no hat, against a neutral background. The picture must be clear, with no alteration or mark (stamps, signatures, etc.). Photos that do not fulfil the criteria will be rejected.
- papers (passport or identity card, both sides)
- intermediary grade sheets from the last two years of upper secondary education (except for applicants with a Swiss education)
- when applicable, transcripts from prior higher-education institutions
- when applicable, Swiss residence permit and certificate for the applicant (and his or her parents if he or she resides in Switzerland with them)
- language competence certificate in French (except for applicants with a Swiss or francophone education)
Documents required on July 15 (step 2)
All documents must be scanned to PDF and uploaded to the online form.
- upper secondary school certificate (or higher-education diploma when applicable) if already available
- transcripts of the upper secondary school certificate (or of the higher-education diploma when applicable)
- last grade sheet from the upper secondary education
- when applicable, end-of-matriculation certificate from prior higher-education institutions
How to pay the application fee
Payment is only possible by credit card (Visa or MasterCard), Swiss Postcard debit card, or PayPal.
Applicants must pay the application fee when his/her application is submitted. These fees are CHF 50.- for a holder of a Swiss diploma and CHF 150.- for holders of foreign diplomas. Read more about studies’ costs and tuition fees >
The application form must be validated on April 30 at the latest. Application after the deadline is only possible in very specific cases.
The admission decision is only valid for the next beginning of an academic year. Applicants who choose not to matriculate and wish to be accepted the following year must apply again.
The document attesting the successful completion of the title granting admission to EPFL (most commonly the final transcripts) must be submitted no later than September 30. Admission is otherwise canceled.
Double matriculation at EPFL and at another University is not allowed. Applicants accepted at EPFL after having begun studies at another University must provide, no later than September 30, proof that they are no longer matriculated at that school. Admission is otherwise canceled.
After registration, it is still possible to switch to another program, until September 30th.