The Robert Gnehm Grant for parent postdocs (hereafter the RGG) aims to support parent postdocs in the first year of parenthood, allowing them to devote more time to their child while alleviating a temporary decrease in scientific productivity. One aim is to free them from routine work that can be delegated to others, for example in the field of laboratory work, academic administration, and teaching.
The grant funds short-term and part-time personnel support, notably for:
- assistance to help with routine tasks in the laboratory,
- administrative assistance to assume the applicant’s administrative tasks,
- assistance for teaching.
The postdoc could, for example, hire a “student assistant” to help with experiments and/or collecting data such as to accelerate the submission of scientific articles. Other types of financial support, such as prolongation of the working contract of the postdoc, are conceivable.
The RGG amounts to max. 20’000 CHF, and is composed as follows:
- 75% (max. CHF 15’000) from the Equal opportunity office’s fund, and
- min. 25% matching funds by the employing unit.
For laboratories with small budgets, typically those of PATT, the matching fund of the Laboratory can on request be financed by the EPFL Equal Opportunity Office.
The RGG starts after the return from maternity leave and lasts for maximum one year.
Applications must be submitted at the latest 1 month before the expected use to the Equal Opportunity Office.
Please fill in the Application Form and return it together with the following documents:
- A support letter from the Head of laboratory
- For male applicants, justification showing that his partner works at a minimum work rate of 80 % (e.g., copy of work contract or certificate of employer)
- Other annexes, (if applicable)