Postdoc position (100%) at the Digital and Cognitive Musicology Lab, EPFL Lausanne
The Digital and Cognitive Musicology Laboratory (DCML) at EPFL is recruiting one new postdoc candidate to join the lab. The postdoc position is available in the context of the H2020-ERC-funded project “Principles of Musical Structure Building: Theory, Computation, and Cognition.” The research project explores syntactic structures in music, combining theoretical, computational, and psychological approaches. We are looking for a candidate who shares our fascination for the musical mind and joins the team to study musical structure with computational, psychological or music theoretical methods. The research will be conducted in close collaboration with other project and team members.
- Applicants should have a PhD degree in (empirical) musicology, (music) psychology, computer science, cognitive science, music theory, mathematics, or a related field.
- Skills in computer programming and statistics or data science; further experience in data science, machine learning or mathematical modeling is desirable.
- Background or strong interest in (practical) music; knowledge of music theory and analysis is desirable.
- Specific skills, depending on the applicant’s background:
For applicants with a computational background, knowledge in machine learning, Bayesian modeling or mathematical modeling is essential.
For applicants with a psychology background, practical knowledge in experimental design and conducting experimental research is essential; experience with EEG is desirable.
For applicants with a musicology background, strong knowledge in music theory as well as formal languages, mathematics (mathematical music theory), computer science or cognitive science is essential.
- Very good analytical skills; experience in planning and conducting empirical research projects is desirable.
- Team spirit and the ability to work in interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Fluent English language skills.
At EPFL, postdocs are regular full-term employees. The position also involves the opportunity to gain teaching experience. The EPFL provides an international academic ecosystem, excellent and stimulating research, training and teaching environment as well as a dynamic and lively international campus with a vibrant student life and cultural events. Being located at the Lac Leman, Lausanne is a picturesque city with many opportunities for recreational and cultural activities.
Term of employment:
Starting date is flexible. We seek to fill the position as soon as possible.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, a list of publications, and a list of two references with full contact information to [email protected]. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline for application
15 September 2023
This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 760081 – PMSB.