The Institute of Technology & Public Policy (ITPP) has been created to foster research at the interface between technology and public policy. The Institute is uniquely positioned to address some of today’s grand challenges by combining technological solutions with appropriate policy-relevant strategic thinking and operational responses. The mission of the Institute is to develop policy-relevant knowledge that takes into account state-of-the-art technological developments along with technological stakes and forecasts, notably in the areas conveying today’s major societal challenges.
Currently, the ITPP focuses on the following areas:
- innovation policy
- intellectual property rights policy and regulation
- science and technology policy
- transportation and mobility policy and regulation
- energy policy and regulation
- telecommunications policy and regulation
- information society and digitalization policies and regulation
- urbanization policy
- natural resources extraction policy and regulation
- environmental policy and regulation
The Institute builds on strong collaborations with other EPFL units across the campus, as well as with private partners, government agencies and international organizations.
The ITPP is directed by Prof. Matthias Finger.