To be read first:
- Automated syringe dispense: Liquids that react with glass, PTFE (Teflon), Polymethylpentene (PMP), Fluorelastomer (FPM), Polyphenylene sulfide can’t be used with the automated syringe.
- Manual syringe dispense: All liquids used with the manual dispense system should be approved by the CMi Staff and are prepared according to a standard operating procedure (SOP).
- Please immediately inform the CMi staff in case of problems with the equipment.
RESERVATION RULES AND BOOKING FEES POLICY:
- No booking restrictions.
- 24/7 booking/use is possible with CMi+1 extended access.
- Reservation names must correspond to operators.
The Krüss DSA-30 system is a multi-dosing and imaging system used to measure the Contact Angle (CA) of any liquids dropped on a wafer surface (static mode) and calculate the Surface Free Energy (SFE) of the wafer. It is useful mainly in the characterization of the chemical adhesion of liquids on the wafer surface, and the evaluation of the quality of different surface treatments on the wafer.
A module for the open source ImageJ software is also available to measure surface tension of liquids using pendant-drop images taken with the Krüss DSA-30.
- Multi-dosing system with up to 4 automatic-dispense syringe and one manual-dispense syringe
- Wafer table with manual x- z- axis and software-controlled y– axis allowing for wafer mappings and multi-drop experiments
- Light source with software-controlled illumination intensity
- Camera with 780 x 580 px resolution for video-recording
- Objective with manual zoom (up to x6.5), focus and angle tilting
- Software for measuring contact angle, surface free energy of solids and preparing advanced sequence of multi-droplet measurements.
- Syringe 1 (S-1): WATER (H2O)
- Syringe 2 (S-2): DIIODO-METHANE (CH2I2), CAS 75-11-6
- Syringe 3 (S-3): ETHYLENE GLYCOL (C2H6O2), CAS 107-21-1
- Syringe 4 (S-4): FREE (contact the equipment responsible)
- Syringe 5 (S-5): MANUAL (contact the equipment responsible)
- Standard MODE: single-droplet measurements (SDM) with any liquids from the 5 syringes.
- Expert MODE (advanced users only): fully automated multi-droplet measurements, called master template (MT). Templates are edited and tested by the equipment responsible!
- SURFACE FREE ENERGY = Multi-droplets experiment with S-1, S-2, S-3 and S-4 for measurements and modelling of SFE of your wafer.
- WAFER MAPPING = Multi-droplets experiment with S-1 (water) for surface treatment homogeneity tests.
Surface free energy (SFE) models:
Several models are available which requires one, two or three liquids with known surface tension properties (check the database). Make sure to read the literature about the limitations of each model. Some details are given in the “theory” manual below. Recommendations:
- Silicon, SiO2, SiN, III-V Semiconductors: Extended FOWKES (3 liquids minimum), FOWKES (2 liquids minimum), OWRK (2 liquids minimum)
- Photoresists, polymers: Wu (2 liquids minimum), Zisman (1 liquid minimum)
- Metals: GvOK (3 liquids minimum)