The programme aims to promote the sustainable integration of digital education in the teaching process of African institutions of higher education in STEM disciplines, as a means to strengthen the quality of teaching as well as the competencies of graduates.
These institutions will be provided with the means to transform their educational curricula by integrating modern digital education methods. As of 2020, the programme will launch a total of six sponsored projects lasting two years (3 starting in 2020 and another 3 starting in 2022), through six institutional partnerships with leading universities in Africa. This will lay the foundations for the launch of the Digital Education component of the Excellence in Africa initiative. The key element of each partnership will be the creation and the development of a Centre of Competence in Digital Education (C-CoDE) in each partner university. [click here for additional information]
By encouraging the use of innovative digital technologies in educational practices, the aim is to strengthen the techno-pedagogical skills of lecturers and to train them in the production of digital content and its use in university courses.
The initiative will proceed in two steps, to:
- enable the university to acquire the necessary skills, infrastructure, capacity and quality standards to operate a C-CoDE serving the institution. Such a Centre will contribute to the design, production and dissemination of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and Open Educational Resources (OER). The faculty of the institution will also be trained in the integration of ICT-enabled teaching methods.
- extend the Centre’s sphere of activity to serve other African institutions, for instance within a broader linguistic or geographical region.
For the project to have long-term institutional impact and be transformative, the partner universities commit to:
- Integrate the use of the resources produced by the Centre in their educational programmes
- Encourage the pooling and sharing of digital educational resources
- Boost the development of new teaching practices by motivating and supporting the lecturers engaged in this venture,at first within the institution and then more broadly.