- EPFL Professor: Prof. Dr. François Maréchal
- Assistant: Dr. Jessen Page
- Starting date is flexible according to the schedule of the student and the company
The airport of Geneva (GVA) will be undergoing massive transformations over the next decade. In particular a low temperature thermal network will distribute cold lake water to the airport as a source of heat and cold (the Genilac project) for the airport’s heating and cooling needs. The EPFL is supporting GVA in planning the transition from its current to its future thermal system. The objective of this master project will be, in collaboration of the team currently working with GVA, to map and model the heating and cooling demands of the site’s various buildings as well as its heat and cold distribution networks.
Desired hard skills are:
- Energy conversion systems knowledge (EPFL courses: Thermo I/II, Energy conversion, Advanced Energetics, or equivalent)
- Programming skills: MATLAB, Lua or similar languages
- Optimization (EPFL courses: Modelling and Optimization of Energy Systems or equivalent)
Other soft skills that are highly appreciated:
- Motivation, autonomy and self-organization
- Ability to communicate results (oral and written)
- Very good English writing skills
How to apply
If interested please contact Jessen Page including your CV, a cover letter and a transcript of records (Bachelor’s and Master’s).
As the IPESE research group is located in Sion, students will need to commute. A travel expense compensation of 1200 CHF will be given to students for master projects. The days of presence in Sion will be determined upon communication with the project supervisor.