Prof. Mohammad K. Nazeeruddin received M.Sc. and Ph. D. in inorganic chemistry from Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. He joined as a Lecturer in Deccan College of Engineering and Technology, Osmania University, in 1986. Subsequently, he moved to Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute, Bhavnagar, as a Research Associate. He was awarded the Government of India’s fellowship in 1987 to study abroad. After one-year postdoctoral stay with Prof. Graetzel at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL), he joined the same institute as a Senior Scientist.
In 2014, EPFL awarded him the title of Professor. His current research at EPFL focuses on Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells, Perovskite Solar Cells, CO2 reduction, Hydrogen production, and Light-emitting diodes. He has published more than 725 peer-reviewed papers, ten book chapters, and he is the inventor/co-inventor of over 90 patents. The high impact of his work has been recognized by invitations to speak at over 250 international conferences, including the MRS Fall and Spring Meetings and GORDON conference. He has been nominated to the OLLA International Scientific Advisory Board. He appeared in the ISI listing of most cited chemists and has more than 105’000 citations with an h-index of 145. He teaches the “Functional Materials” course at EPFL and Korea University; directing, and managing several industrial, national, and European Union projects. He was awarded the EPFL Excellence prize in 1998 and 2006, the Brazilian FAPESP Fellowship in 1999, the Japanese Government Science & Technology Agency Fellowship in 1998, Government of India National Fellowship in 1987-1988. Recently he has been appointed as World Class University (WCU) professor by the Korea University, Jochiwon, Korea (http://dses.korea.ac.kr/eng/sub01_06_2.htm) and Adjunct Professor by the King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Elected to the European Academy of Sciences (EURASC), and Fellow of The Royal Society of Chemistry.
According to the Web of Science in 2016, Nazeeruddin is the 5th most cited chemist globally and is one of the 19 scientists identified by Thomson Reuters as the World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds in 2015 (from all scientific domains). He has been named Thomson Reuters “Highly Cited Researcher” from 2014 to 2020 and has been identified by the Times of Higher Education as “the top 10 researchers in the world working on the high impact perovskite materials and devices”. (https://www.timeshighereducation.com/data-bites/top-universities-and-researchers-perovskite-solar-cell-research#survey-answer).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), Inorganic Chemistry, 1986, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
- Master of Science (M.Sc), Inorganic Chemistry, 1980, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. Passed with first class and distinction.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc), Chemistry and Biology 1978, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. Passed with first class and distinction.
- World Class University Professor, 2009-2013, Department of Advanced Materials Chemistry, Korea University (Sejong Campus), 208 Seochang, Jochiwon, Chungnam 339-700, Korea. Contact: Tel. +82 41 860 1383, [email protected]
- King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, SaudiArabia, 2014-2015
- King Saud University, SaudiArabia-P.O:2454, Riyadh11451.
- EPFL award for Excellence, 2006
- Brazilian FAPESP Fellowship Award, 1999
- Japanese Government Science & Technology Agency Fellowship, 1998
- EPFL award for Excellence, 1998
- Government of India National Scholar award, 1987-1988
- CSIR, Senior research Fellowship, 1983-1986
- CSIR, Junior research Fellowship, 1980-1983
Editorial board member:
- Artificial Photosynthesis www.versitaopen.com/arph
- ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
- Nature Scientific Reports