The newly founded Hybrid Photonics Laboratory at EPFL is seeking for talented and motivated PhD candidates to work in the young and dynamic field of free-space high-frequency active photonics with applications in in coherent ranging, feedback control of (quantum) sources, diffractive computing, or tunable optics.
As a successful candidate of this brand-new team, you will shape the future of metasurface-based active photonics in a brand-new lab. You will develop first-of-their kind hybrid platforms that enable designer electro-optic metasurfaces that can fulfil complex optical functionalities that can be changed at Gigahertz speeds. You will also drive diverse aspects of the experimental effort: technical (optical measurement setup design, high-frequency electronics, and mechanical components), fabrication (develop scalable and reliable hybrid photonic devices on silicon-on-insulator and other electro-optic platforms) and conceptual (develop novel measurement and generation schemes, explore novel concepts around designer metasurfaces and novel electro-magnetic resonances).
Main duties and responsibilities include
- Develop novel optical setups, together with their driving software/hardware, automatize measurement procedures.
- Develop and invent novel nanostructure designs, using simulations software.
- Lead international collaborations and deliver periodic reports that describe your progress within the project.
- Establish low-loss nanofabrication protocols of hybrid silicon-organic metasurfaces and other electro-optic platforms in the cleanroom.
- Write scientific publications, file patents, disseminate work at national and international conferences.
- Strong interest in dielectric metasurfaces, radio-frequency electronics and/or electro-optic interaction are mandatory. Prior experience in some of these fields is not required.
- Knowledgeable (or desire to acquire such skills) in Python, Matlab, Labview, Inventor, Illustrator, CST Microwave studio and Comsol.
- Demonstrated hands-on attitude and an interest for taking on new challenges are highly important for this brand-new group. In return, you get to witness setting up a lab first-hand!
- Enjoy collaborations with various other scientific groups, take on a leading junior role in international teams.
- A unique opportunity to contribute and take on entirely new avenues in the field of high-speed active photonics based on designer metasurfaces in a young and dynamic team.
- Excellent infrastructure through the cleanroom at EPFL, the Lausanne center for ultrafast science, and the newly founded Quantum Science Center at EPFL
- Competitive salary, coverage of conference costs, a dynamic and inspiring scientific community.
The Application Procedure
To apply for this position, please send your CV and transcript of records (Bachelor and Master) together with the contact of two references to Prof. Cristina Benea-Chelmus at [email protected] by the 30th of September. The position will remain open until filled. It is highly indicated that you write a short statement (max. one page) where you outline why you want to join this group, what your specific interests are, how your skills can contribute to the mission of the lab and how you think you can advance in your own academic/scholarly pursuit while being a part of the Hybrid Photonics Laboratory. PhD. Candidates will need to apply/have applied to the Doctoral School at EPFL (if needed, details will be provided after a successful candidate was selected). Until our EPFL website is ready (currently under construction), please consult the following personal website for more info.
Start date: January 2022 or later Work rate: 100%