We are offering a 100% PhD researcher position to investigate microbial arsenic methylation for the duration of 4 years at the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory (EML), School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering (ENAC), at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) in Lausanne, Switzerland. The focus at EML is on microbiology with numerous projects dedicated to geomicrobiology – the study of the role of microbes in geochemical processes – and a growing number of projects focused on gut microbiology.
The project deals the microbial transformation of inorganic arsenic to its methylated form. It is an interdisciplinary project and it is part of a larger program, the Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research Microbiomes. The focus on the research is on emergent arsenic methylation properties in soil microbiomes.
- Perform microbial manipulations under anoxic conditions
- Carry our meta-omic-based microbiome characterization
- Perform chemical arsenic speciation by HPLC-ICP-MS
- Collaborate with partners on microbial metabolic modeling
- Participate in general laboratory tasks
- Take classes required by the doctoral school
- Write publications
- Attend and present at international conferences
- Educational background in microbiology and/or chemistry
- A strong chemistry background is an asset
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Prism
- Language: fluent English
- Self-motivation, scientific curiosity, critical thinking and rigor in experiment work
- Good communication skills and ability to work as part of an international team
- Enthusiasm, willingness to learn, good organizational skills, versatility
- An opportunity to develop a scientific career in the context of an interdisciplinary project
- A unique opportunity to learn high-end techniques and approaches
- The opportunity to build a scientific network in the field of microbiome research
- Excellent educational conditions and competitive remuneration
- A multi-cultural and stimulating scientific environment
The position starts as soon as possible.
Please send your application including motivation letter, curriculum vitae, grades, and two references as soon as possible but latest until 15th February 2021 in one single PDF file to: [email protected].
For questions please contact: [email protected]
For reference of past research please visit: https://www.epfl.ch/labs/eml/